Have you taken a walk on the culinary wild side with Phyllis Speer and John Philpot? Look no farther for their latest “Cooking on the Wild Side” recipes! Tickle your tastebuds with these delicious recipes for Fresh Fruit Salsa, Goobered Hash Browns, Venison Sausage, Venison Sausage Gravy, Eggs Ozarkia and Roasted Chicken Salad.
Fresh Fruit Salsa
- 1 papaya, cubed
- 1 small can crushed pineapple
- 2 mangos, cubed
- 1 fresh jalepeno pepper, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 kiwis, chopped
Combine ingredients. Place in airtight container. Chill.
Goobered Hash Browns
- 5 cups of frozen hash browns
- 2 large cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 red sweet pepper, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 chipotle in adobo, diced
- 1 cup dry roasted peanuts
Place oil in heavy deep skillet. Add hash browns, onion, red pepper, chipotle and garlic. Cook until potatoes are brown. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir in peanuts and cook until heated through. Serve immediately.
Venison Sausage No. 1
- 1 ½ lb. venison
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 lb. pork shoulder
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ lb. good quality smoked bacon
- 4 Tbsp. rubbed sage or to taste
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
Grind meats together. Add seasonings. Form into patties and fry. May be made into patties and frozen.
Venison Sausage No. 2
- 2 lb. ground venison
- ½ tsp. mustard seed
- 1 ½ tsp. curing salt
- ¾ tsp. instant minced garlic ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. instant minced onion
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Shape into three sausages. Wrap in foil and refrigerate for 24 hours. Drop into boiling water and boil for 1 hour. Unwrap and cool. Rewrap with plastic wrap and foil.
Venison Sausage Gravy
- 1 lb. venison sausage
- 1 tsp. salt Vegetable spray
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil or bacon fat
- 2 to 4 cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- Paprika (optional)
- Venison sausage gravy
- 2 thick slices Cheddar cheese
- 2 fried or scrambled eggs
Cut biscuit in half and place pieces on plate. Place eggs on biscuit. Cover with venison sausage gravy. Top with thick slice Cheddar cheese. Place in broiler until cheese is melted. Serve to hearty appetites.
Roasted Chicken Salad
- 1 store bought roasted chicken, de-boned and cut into chunks
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- 3 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- 1 yellow sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cups red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cup roasted pecan halves, broken
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Croutons (optional)
Place ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Serve on bed of romaine lettuce surrounded by tomato chunks. Top with croutons if desired.
“Cooking on the Wild Side,” Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m.