Get ready to rise and shine!
Season Two of “Rise and Shine,” an extensive educational program designed to boost summer learning and offer K-5 students an engaging way to gain academic knowledge between school years, will kick off Tuesday, July 5, on Arkansas PBS. The six-week program airing weekdays from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and livestreaming at myarpbs.org/watch will feature lessons grounded in Arkansas academic standards and led by Arkansas teachers to reinforce learning in literacy, math, science and social studies.
The series will connect students with mini-lessons led by the following Arkansas Teachers of the Year:
· Jessica Saum, 2022 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Susanna Post, 2021 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Joel Lookadoo, 2020 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Stacey McAdoo, 2019 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Randi House, 2018 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Courtney Cochran, 2017 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
· Meghan Ables, 2016 Arkansas Teacher of the Year.
Additionally, two new guest teachers – Trey Suskie and Lady Molina – will host special segments.
Each weekday students will be taken on a virtual field trip with partners across the state. Field trips for week one will include:
· Little Rock Zoo to learn about snakes.
· Petit Jean State Park to discover the history and the sites of the park.
· Arkansas Travelers to explore all the different jobs it takes to make a baseball game run.
· Little Rock Rangers to find out how to be a great fan for the Little Rock Rangers Soccer Cub.
· City of Conway Recycling to learn about the importance of recycling and where all the trash goes.
Other special segments throughout the week will include science with "Wendy Weather Balloon,” nutrition information with “Zach Lunch,” Mr. Steve, The Music Man music videos, “When I Was a 3rd Grader” animated shorts and spelling practice in “Spelling Bs With Benji and Bart.”
Families and organizations are encouraged to download “Rise and Shine” Power Packets – free summer learning activity kits that follow along with the series – to help extend learning beyond the broadcast. Power Packets are available in English and Spanish and can be downloaded at myarpbs.org/riseandshine.
“Rise and Shine” is brought to you in partnership with Arkansas Department of Education.